Carbon Monoxide

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an invisible, silent, odorless toxic gas. In an enclosed space, such as a home or garage, CO exposure can lead to serious illness or death.

What are the signs of CO exposure?

  • Headache and dizziness
  • Fatigue and weakness
  • Watering and burning eyes
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Loss of muscle control

Where does CO come from?

Improperly operating Natural Gas appliances:

  • Furnaces
  • Hot Water Heater
  • Dryer
  • Range
  • Fireplace

Exhaust from:

  • Gas and diesel vehicles
  • Gas-powered machines
  • Wood-burning fireplaces

Prevent CO in your home by:

  • Make sure your wood burning fireplace has enough combustion and ventilation air.
  • Have a qualified service technician check all gas appliances (including furnaces and fireplaces) at the start of each heating season.
  • You should never run a vehicle, snow blower, lawnmower etc. in a closed garage
  • Never use a BBQ indoors (Natural Gas, Charcoal, or Propane).
  • Never run exhaust fans, power attic vents or a central vacuum system for prolonged periods.
  • Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector in your home.

If you suspect Carbon Monoxide is present:

  • Open doors and windows to air out the area.
  • Evacuate the building (including pets).
  • Seek medical advice immediately for physical symptoms.
  • Once safely evacuated, contact Central Peace Gas Co-op at 780-864-3873 or your local Fire Department.