Natural Gas is colorless and odorless. For safety reasons, all Utilities add Mercaptan to Natural Gas. This chemical, also known as Odorant, gives Natural Gas its very distinctive "skunky" gas odour. This is an early warning system to alert you to the possibility of a gas leak. If you can smell gas or suspect a gas leak, please call Central Peace Gas Co-op immediately at 780-864-3873. If you unable to reach us you should call 9-1-1 or Emergency Services.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU SMELL GAS INSIDE OR IF YOU SUSPECT A LEAK INSIDE
- Evacuate the building immediately.
- Leave all the lights, electrical appliances, etc. as they are.
- DO NOT use electrical switches, telephones, appliances, garage door openers, cell phones, etc.
- Call Central Peace Gas Co-op at 780-864-3873 from a safe distance once you have evacuated the premises.
- Do not use lighters or matches and do not smoke.
- Stay away from the building and area.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU SMELL GAS OUTSIDE OR IF YOU SUSPECT A LEAK OUTSIDE
- Call Central Peace Gas Co-op at 780-864-3873.
- Keep clear of area.
- Do not use matches, lighters and do not smoke.
- Don't start any motors or motor vehicles near the area of the gas odor.